On November 7, 1858, Reverend William Heaton came from Emmanuel Chapel in Mont Alto, to organize a mission in Chambersburg. The mission was named Trinity and services were held in the Seceder's Church, located across the street. That church building was burned when Confederate forces burned the town of Chambersburg in July 1864. Following the burning, services were held in the Masonic Temple (next to the present church building), which was not burned.
On April 1, 1869, Trinity bought the present site of the church, which was lot 100 of the original land grant to Benjamin Chambers, founder of Chambersburg. The purchase included a residence built around 1850. That building is now attached to the south end of the Church and houses the church offices, sacristy, a meeting room, and the rectory.
The cornerstone of the church building was laid on July 6, 1870, and the church was consecrated on September 16, 1871. In 1875 the property was lost at a sheriff's sale. The church was purchased by friends and given to the Diocese in exchange for payment of $1.00. The house was repurchased in 1926 and attached to the church.
In 1910 the Boy Scouts began in Chambersburg at Trinity Episcopal Church. In response to their growth, the parish built the building which sits behind the church in 1911. Within a few years the building was rented out to the Porter brothers as a Texaco garage. Later it was leased by the Washington House Hotel, which stood at the corner of Lincoln Way East and South Second Street, for use as its laundry. In the 1950s, the Parish renovated the building for its current use as the Parish Hall.
Specially designed stained-glass windows showing events in the life of Christ were installed in the 1970s. Stations of the Cross, beautifully carved in wood, were placed in the church in 2006. We are proud of our small and beautiful church and work to keep it a sparkling jewel dedicated to God.